Holy Family College is a school with a long and proud tradition. The Sisters of the Holy Family Congregation came to Durban from Bordeaux, France in 1875, in response to a request from Bishop Jolivet, who asked them to establish a “school for young ladies” in the town. The school began its life on the site of the present Durdoc Centre in Smith Street, in 1875. The school then moved to a site on St. Andrews Street a few years later, before finally moving to its present site in Convent Close, off Rick Turner Rd, Glenmore, in 1962.
Holy Family College was originally known as Convent High and was the first Catholic Private School to be established in Durban, therefore making us the second oldest school at 137 years old. Holy Family College was one of the first schools in Durban to open its doors to learners from all ethnic groups, because of this we now authentically reflect the demographics and population structure of our city and country. As a result we have become a united and happy “Holy Family”.
Holy Family College has been through many changes over the years, from being an all-girl Convent school, to a co-educational school; and from a school that was run by the Holy Sisters to one that is now being run by the Catholic community. However, the core and essence of our school has not changed, we still believe in the holistic development of the child and our Catholic foundation is a solid today as it was 140 years ago.